Wednesday, 11 June 2014

I am a Man


Everybody knows me, but nobody wants to take my name. If I look at someone, that person becomes a target of my next sin. If I touch something, it becomes impure. What I speak, nobody hears. What I hear is not what I want to hear. How things differ when human organs differ down at the bottom. When he looks at me, I am a thing to desire. When he touches me, I am a desire. When he speaks, it is to satisfy his desires. I am a trade of desires. I am the real goddess of humanly desires. We humans are made out of desire of flesh, and that is what I serve, then why am I a thing to abhor. Why am I a thing? I am a prostitute is what they say.
The woman who lives in the next lane turns her face to me; the only thing that gives her ‘honor’ and makes her virtuous is that vermillion mark. How unaware she is of the fact that she too is nothing more than a play thing for her husband which he rejects to come to me. When a man crawls over me, he and his society think that I am being soiled with dirt. What the fool and his subjects do not know that I become a walking effigy of his dirt. When I look at the little girls playing on the road their mothers’ heart stop for a while looking at me with contempt thinking that I want to steal the laughter from their houses to hide into the filthy corners of my small room. But when I look at that innocent smile, in their harmless sparkling eyes, clean joy-filled heart, I long for those days of past when even I had dreamt of conquering the world. But the sunken eyes of my mother, lurking rib cages of my brother and cruel hunger made me a walking taboo. Men looked at my body, women refused to acknowledge the human inside me, and society made me a criminal. A criminal? Just the absence of a vermillion mark made me a criminal. Why don’t they see the blood in the eyes of those men coloring my skin, every curve, each strand, and all the nights, scarlet? I am not a human. Not a woman. I walk without any shame on the earth, bearing the dirt and desires of all the men. I am an unmasked man.
-Bra Rider

1 comment:

  1. ,,,,,....though painful to accept bttt true.....
    Prostitute: they r treated like some dirt by this double facet society bttt behind closed doors they act as the cleansing goddess or GANGA to absorve all the dirt in themselves of this honourable soial class who claims to be sophisticated heads on the earth bttt behind closed doors they r nothing more then the shit or the ANIMAL in human attire...or the naked beast ripping the soul of the nature and polluting her with their animosity........

    Wonderful writer.....keep writing

    ReplyDelete