Monday, 9 June 2014

Here Here!

We south Indians have this thing. We have a sense of extreme propriety. We thrive on it. It’s not based on civic sense where we care for the wellbeing of others as well as ours. Oh no! (scoffs). here, I speak of propriety based on “My my, what will Mrs. Iyyer think! Shiva shiva!” And going by this logic, we wear fully covered clothes and apparently never talk to people of the opposite sex. Because, here I translate a famous saying, “whether the leaf falls on the thorn or the thorn falls on the leaf, it’s the leaf that will be harmed.” That’s right, we women are the leaves. And this saying brings to my mind the sickening image of cruel sex that breaks the hymen, painfully.

Getting back to the crucial point again, the code of civic sense. The concept is misplaced. Having spent most of my life in the northern parts of the country, I realize that we aren’t so different after all. We both think that women wearing shorter clothes are “asking for it,” a girl who goes around with boys, calls them friends is a whore, a woman who aspires to be someone, and puts her career first, oh god, she is not even meant to be talked about!

So here goes.
1.        We hate being stereotyped as the weaker sex. Yes, we like looking good. I want to know, how, just how in hells name does that make us weak! You guys spend hours on choosing clothes, don’t deny it, and what the hell does that make you all?
2.        Chivalry and being treated as touch me nots are different things. Pulling out a chair is different, but helping us go down the stairs? Boy. No No NO. (I have seen it happening)
3.        We are women. Anatomically given genital organs that are meant not just for peeing. Which means, we use them to have sex. It functions for both purposes. You looking down on us for sexual appetite is plain hypocrisy and mate, clearly, you have issues.
4.        Bras are a restriction. I hate this society which has imposed it on us. I hate that we have all these varieties to make our boobs look different in so many ways. Indian summers and bras don’t go hand in hand, don’t you see it? Not all of us have limos and centrally air conditions rooms.
5.        We love our careers. You might get a hard on seeing that in us. But sure as hell, many of you would like us to make sacrifices if we are to settle down right?
 So, I can’t help but wonder, where is that freedom that is the birth right of every individual? Don’t you all realize that in creating bondages like these you are creating crippled individuals, impaired of thought and action?
What are you all scared of? I guess I have the answer to that.
Free, intelligent, successful women, might actually challenge the accepted norm of the man-bread winner.

Crippling much? 

_The Bra Slasher

No comments:

Post a Comment